Monday, September 16, 2013

Roasted Fig + Grape Oatmeal

Last week my farm box surprised me a with box of black mission figs. I thought about using them to make Fig and Prosciutto Flatbread, Fig Jam or some sort of panini. I ultimately decided to switch up my regular oatmeal routine so I roasted the figs and some grapes with a little bit of brown sugar and extra virgin olive oil. I loved the sweetness and crunchy texture of the figs along with the warm roasted grapes. I did not miss the chocolate in my breakfast! I used the rest of my roasted figs and grapes as a topping for my daily yogurt with granola.




















Ingredients:
4 fresh figs, quartered
1/4-1/2 cup grapes
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1-2 tbsp brown sugar
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup almond milk

Directions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Place the fig quarters and grapes on a baking sheet and drizzle with the olive oil. Sprinkle the  brown sugar on top of the figs and grapes.
Place in the oven and roast until the figs and grapes are soft and bubbling, about 6-8 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare oatmeal. I simply use the microwave, putting the oatmeal in a bowl, pouring in the almond milk and microwaving for 1.5 minutes. Microwaves are not created equal. In Michigan my oatmeal is done in 1 minute. Alternatively you can cook oatmeal on the stove by bringing the required amount of water to a simmer and adding the oats and stirring until the oats are cooked through.
When serving, place the oatmeal in bowls, add the roasted figs and grapes, and top with a little more brown sugar. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment