Friday, June 29, 2012

Smoked Gouda Grits and Sausage

Back in 2009 I made the New Year's Goal of following a new recipe to the T on a weekly basis. I wanted to build a collection of meals I could create from scratch. My whole life I had been a sous chef, helping my family out in the kitchen, but I didn't really know how to prepare entire meals. Over the years I have learned a variety of techniques and food combinations by following Giada De Laurentiis, Ina Garten and other celebrity chef recipes. Many of my initial posts were modifications of their work. I now have been more focused on creating recipes that are 100% my own. A few weeks ago I was craving creamy food, rummaged around the kitchen and found grits, some onions, and sausage in the freezer. I ran to the store to buy some chicken stock, cheese and tomatoes, and this is what I came up with. I've made the meal for several dinner guests, all resulting in bowls being licked and requests for the recipe. I think you'll enjoy :)


Ingredients:
5 Italian Turkey Hot Sausage Links
1 Yellow Onion
2 Garlic Cloves, slivered
1 can Low Sodium Diced Tomatoes
1 Cup Stone Ground Grits (now avaliable at trader joes!)
4 ounces Smoked Gouda, shredded
4 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth
1 cup water
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Directions:
Bring water, salt, and 1 tablespoon butter to a boil in a heavy saucepan, then add grits gradually, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat and cook at a slight simmer, covered, stirring frequently, until water is absorbed and grits are thickened. This should take about 15 minutes.

Stir in 1/2 cup water and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally to keep grits from sticking to bottom of pan, 10 minutes. Stir in remaining 1/2 cup water and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until liquid is absorbed and grits are thick and tender, about 35 minutes more. Remove from heat, and stir in cheese and pepper. 

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides, about 7 to 9 minutes. Remove from the pan. Keeping the pan over medium heat, onions and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 2 more minutes. Last, add the tomates and stir. Cook for an additional 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

Serve grits in a bowl, topped with the tomato sausage mixture and enjoy!

Other 100% thirdculturefoodie recipes:

2 comments:

  1. I'm confused. Your recipe calls for 4 cups of chx broth but you never mentioned it in your instructions? I was assuming you were going to use it in the grits but you used water. Just thought I would inform you on this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I adjusted it in my new blog. Yes, broth adds way more flavor than water with the grits.
    http://therestlessrunner.com/2012/06/29/smoked-gouda-grits-and-sausage/

    ReplyDelete