Sunday, October 13, 2013

Picadillo Potato Stew

Brent is in London for the next week for work. I wish I was there with him, but it makes me happy to know he is spending time with Jackie, Alex and Lindsey. While Brent is away I have spent a lot of time with run club and school friends. Friday night Archana and I hosted a new to KAO happy hour at AFrame. Saturday morning Kathy and I had a great run through Brentwood and Santa Monica. That afternoon Ma'ayan and I were in the mood to explore so we went to Mochica in Downtown LA for a late lunch. Ma'ayan has spent a lot of time in Peru, so she was able to help with dish recommendations. We had the Papa a la Huancaina, Ceviche Carretillero, and the Lomo Saltado. Check out the photos from our meal below! Today after run club I was craving picadillo. I had most of the ingredients in my fridge but was missing the meat and tortillas. I had a bunch of potatoes from my farm box this past week, so I chopped up some onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots and peppers and made a stew spiced with my taco seasoning, the seasoning I use for my picadillo. I topped the stew with avocado, plopped myself on the couch and started watching episodes of New Girl (Alaina suggested catching up while Brent is away). I am enjoying my lazy Sunday afternoon, but it would be better with Brent!

Ingredients:
1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large russet potatoes, rustically chopped (that means not perfect!)
1 large carrot, rustically chopped
1 large green pepper, chopped
1 avocado, sliced
2 tablespoons taco seasoning
Hot Sauce!
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 cup water

Directions:
In a large stock pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Saute garlic and onion until onions are transparent. Add the chopped potatoes, carrot, taco seasoning, and water to the pot. Give the stew a good stir, then allow to simmer for 15 minutes. Last, add the green peppers and simmer for 5 more minutes. Serve the stew in bowls topped with hot sauce and avocado slices.

Mochica Downtown Los Angeles

1 comment:

  1. Picadillo!! Hey, that's a great blog entry.

    ReplyDelete