Sunday, May 20, 2012

Banana Bread Pancakes

Bananas are nature's energy bar. I eat the potassium rich food every morning with my oatmeal, and before heading out on an afternoon run. I love bananas when they are bright and yellow, but I can't eat them plain once they've started turning brown. Baking with brown bananas, however, is ideal. The browner the banana, the better the banana muffins, banana bread and banana bread pancakes. After devouring The Tripel's banana bread french toast a few weekends ago, I decided to experiment with mini banana bread pancakes. I knew this dish would be a hit before I even made it. How could I possibly mess up with banana bread pancakes, topped with butter, maple-agave syrup, blackberries and golden raspberries? It'll be a while before I make regular pancakes. Banana bread style is the way to go!


Ingredients:
2 cups whole white wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2/3 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3 large ripe bananas, mashed
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Maple Syrup (or my new favorite maple-agave syrup blend from Trader Joe's)

Directions:
In a bowl or a mixer, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Measure out the milk in a measuring cup and add the vanilla extract to it. Whisk together the dry ingredients and add in milk and vanilla, stirring to combine. The mixture will still be dry. Add in mashed bananas last and mix. Pour in melted butter and stir until batter until smooth.

Heat a pan or griddle on medium heat. Using a big spoonful of batter, pour into mini rounds and cook until bubbles form on top – about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for a minute or two more. Repeat with remaining batter. Serve hot with butter and syrup.

Makes roughly 20 mini pancakes or 10 large pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment