Saturday, June 5, 2010

Whole Wheat Waffles

In three weeks I am marrying the man of my dreams. Brent has a passion for service, is incredibly kind to everyone he interacts with, and has the spontaneity a type a girl like me needs. Marrying Brent and celebrating with loved ones is enough of a gift, but friends and family have gone above and beyond to make me feel special during this exciting time in my life. Three weeks ago my sisters planned the perfect bachelorette party in New York City. We took a food tour in Greenwich Village, a foodie's heaven, then went out for dinner and dancing. Last weekend my Mom planned Alicia and I a Julia Child themed wedding shower complete with family recipes from all of the guests. Over the past few weeks I have also been coming home to Crate and Barrel packages. Despite feeling undeserving of these gifts, as a foodie I wasted no time in putting my new kitchen toys to use. This morning I used my new waffle iron (thank you Mrs. Maccoby) and kitchenaid (thank you Weber family) to make waffles from scratch. This recipe confirmed that you should stop wasting your money on pancake and waffle mix. You'll likely have all the ingredients for this recipe at home!

















Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons sugar
1 large egg
1 1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup melted butter
One banana sliced
More butter for spreading
Yummy syrup!

Directions:
Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugar. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk, and butter or oil. Slowly mix together the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just till combined.
Cook the waffles as directed in the instructions that came with your waffle iron.
Top with butter, sliced bananas and syrup. Enjoy! Make 4 large waffles.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE the simplicity! Everyone has those ingredients lying around in their cupboards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an Eggo person (every Friday morning) the idea of making waffles from scratch seems like a lot of work. You now I think I will try it.

    Papa

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want to eat this meal right now. just woke up and i'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man, that sounds and looks amazing!!! I will have to try that this summer when I have time to think about cooking. Look at you, breaking me out of my microwave cooking habits haha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you are getting immediate use from the waffle maker! I will tell my mom (and send her the link to your blog- she will be a loyal fan!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, I got the link and am so glad that you are enjoying the waffle maker! It makes me very happy to think you are already using it, and the recipe sounds fabulous. Celia is right - I WILL be a loyal fan. Much love to you both.

    ReplyDelete